Skip to main content



Friday, November 22, 2019 

Corvus Energy has signed a contract with SEC Marine of the UK to supply the energy storage system (ESS) for the world’s first hybrid surface effect ship (SES) for crew transfer.

The vessel, designed to cost-effectively service offshore windfarms, has been developed by operator CWind and SES specialist ESNA, a ship design company based in Kristiansand, Norway.

Trygve Halvorsen Espeland, naval architect at ESNA, said: “We see that hybrid propulsion in vessels like offshore wind crew transfer vessels enables a greener footprint and multiple benefits for the vessel owners. The vessels have the benefit of range with the combustion engine, while the batteries provide both increased speed with power boost, peak shaving and reduced fuel consumption. Moreover, the engines will have fewer running hours and the silent hours on board will be appreciated by the crew and passengers. The vessel design will accommodate further developments in hybrid propulsion and battery technology, ensuring it has the capability of being developed into a totally carbon-free solution in the future.”

The crew transfer vessel is designed with two catamaran hulls, closed area between and an inflated rubber bag in the stern which supports up to 80% of the vessel weight when filled with air. The remaining 20% is supported by hull buoyancy. Lower hull resistance enables higher vessel speed and less wave contact gives reduced motion for the crew.

Kim Klokkervold, Senior Sales Manager, Corvus Energy, said: “The electrification of crew transfer boats and smaller workboats has only just begun. We are confident that we will see a massive shift from diesel to battery-hybrid powered propulsion on all kinds of smaller workboats due to substantial benefits and increased focus on reducing emissions.”

The vessel will use lightweight Corvus Energy Dolphin modules which are tailor made for weight-sensitive vessels and have multiple installation possibilities which ensures an optimal hybrid solution. It will be built at Wight Shipyard Co in the UK and is expected to service the Borssele 1 and 2 offshore windfarms located 23km off the Dutch coast from mid-2020.

Reader Comments (0)

There are currently no comments on this article. Why not be the first and leave your thoughts below.

Leave Your Comment

Please keep your comment on topic, any inappropriate comments may be removed.

Return to index